Faculty Coordinators: Dr. Sanjay Jain & Mr. Dyaneshwar Kendre.
ILS Law College established this cell three years ago in accordance with the mandate of UGC. The main object of this cell is to promote the integration of disabled students in the mainstream and to sensitize able-bodied students about the special needs of the disabled students.
Apart from providing readers and other gadgets to the disabled students, every year the cell also organises a workshop to have a get-together of disabled students from various colleges affiliated to SPPU.
One Day Career Counselling cum Motivation Workshop for college-going differently abled students – 10th February, 2017
This year this workshop was magnanimously funded by Student Welfare Department of SPPU by sanctioning a grant of Rs. 1, 20,000. First half of the workshop was dedicated to legal orientation. The following speakers graced the occasion.
- Mr. Ajay Kumar Mittal – Secretary General of the World Blind Union and President, All India Confederation of the Blind
- Dr. Shirish Deshpande – President, National Federation of the Blind, Retired Head of the Department of Law at University of RSTM, Nagpur
- Dr. Sanjay Jain, Associate Professor, ILS Law College, Pune
Apprising the students about recently enacted Rights of Persons with Disability Act, 2016, the first session was chaired by Dr. Shirish Deshpande. The audience was highly interactive and a number of pertinent questions were raised for the speakers.
In the second half of the workshop, the following speakers graced the occasion.
- Mr. Danish Mahajan – Secretary, Radio Udaan Welfare Society, Ludhiana.
- Mr. Swagat Thorat – Social Worker from Pune, Director of the Guiness World Record Play, “Meghdoot” which has all blind performing actors.
This session effectuated a dialogue with students on career opportunities for visually challenged in the field of media and dramatics. At the event, parts of the play, “Meghdoot” were performed by students of Mr. Thorat. During the second half of the event, the band at ILS, “Vidhi” also performed. There was also a dance show put up by the girls of Kothrud Blind School.
In this workshop, more than 120 disabled students and 50 volunteers participated with enthusiasm. The student coordinators of this event were Ms. GnanushaVakati, Ms. Kavya Bhardkar, Mr. Rishabh Pardeshi and Ms. Chandni Chawla, who volunteered at the event and worked very hard to make it successful.