The dynamics of the college is based on the following core values detailed below:
- Contribution to Nation Building
ILS plays a central role in nation-building by raising the legal consciousness of the youth by providing them the requisite training in law including the law of the land. This training helps them to uphold rule of law in various capacities post their legal education as politicians, civil servants, lawyers, judges, activists, teachers, etc. As politicians, our alumni have made earnest contributions to the executive and legislative branches of State by assuming key positions of Deputy Prime Minister, Chief Minister, Member of Parliament, etc. As judges, they have been able to enforce the laws scrupulously; the college has produced three CJIs, many high court judges and magistrates. As lawyers, civil servants and activists, passed out students have been conscientising the public at large, not only about their rights but also about their duties and responsibilities.
- Equal Opportunity and Inclusiveness
The college observes non-discrimination by following the norms of the State during the process of admission. To promote diversity and to generate tolerance for difference, teachers constantly emphasize on the value of inclusion. College milieu is sensitive to the special needs of disabled students and strives to provide equal opportunities to all irrespective of religion, race, caste, culture, gender and economical background.
- Nurturing local to global competencies
Globalization in trade and commerce has greatly impacted the legal field. The Law is no more viewed in isolation but with respect to demands from the socio-economic and political conditions of the society. The prescribed curriculum of the university caters to these demands by offering a number of courses like International Law and Human Rights, International Trade Law, Private
- Inculcating a Value System among students
Although skill development plays a crucial role in the job market, the lack of a value-system renders skills meaningless. Our college therefore shoulders the responsibility of inculcating desirable values like:
- Constitutional Values – The college is committed to constitutional values like Equality, Dignity, Fraternity, Liberty and Respect for Difference reflecting in the Preamble
- Gender equality – the value of gender equality is primarily upheld while imparting legal education
- Rule of law – Law is supreme and we are regulated by law in every walk of life
- Human Rights – The curriculum of ILS is based on this value and additionally, ILS has designed a diploma course in Human Rights and Law
- Sustainable development – The value of sustainable development is promoted through pollution-free campus and for observance of the same, the college has dedicated cells like Hariyali, Animal Law cell, etc.
- Professional Ethics – For engaging in the profession of Law, adherence to professional ethics is a sine qua non. College imparts the training to the students to uphold integrity and honesty while in the profession through a dedicated course on Professional Ethics.
- Promoting the Use of Technology
To uplift the face of academic development and administration, our college leaves no stone unturned to incorporate the use of technology and innovative methods. In addition to using technology as a learning resource, managing the activities of the college in a technology-enabled way ensures effective institutional functioning.
- Ecosystem for innovation and research
Law needs to be studied on scientific basis. It is essential to examine the law and learn to critique the given by justifying your conclusion with logical reasoning. For this purpose, the college has established Intellectual Property Rights Cell in 2013 and ILS Law College Ph.D. Research Centre.
- Addressing the needs of community
This value is akin to the function of catering legal education to all strata of society. Students are encouraged to engage in legal literacy programmes and legal aid activities to legally empower the community.
- Quest for Excellence
The goal of excellence is always evasive therefore striving for merit is a continuous process. With regard to quality sustenance and quality enhancement, the college keeps pushing the bar for benchmarking. The test for quality becomes tougher and ILS sets very high standards. The pursuit for quality education is persistent right from the graduation and post-graduation courses to research programs that the college offers. The college always attempts to identify the strengths and weaknesses in the teaching and learning processes and works relentlessly for giving the best to classes as well as the masses. Recognizing the legal acumen and research contribution of our college, the Maharashtra Rajya Vishwakosh Nirmitee Mandal has designated the college as a centre to prepare the Marathi Encyclopedia of Law.