“Physical and Mental Disability is created by societal barriers rather than by physical variations in body”.
The ILS Law College established Equal opportunity cum Enabling Cell on 4 January 2013, on the auspicious occasion of Braille Day. The establishment of this Cell has resulted in substantial enhancement in the level of inclusion, both in physical and attitudinal dimensions. All able-bodied students in our college actively and willingly volunteer in all activities carried out by the cell.
Its main objectives are to:
- Provide equal educational opportunities to differently abled students in the field of Law in ILS Law College Pune
- Create awareness among the functionaries of ILS Law College about the specific educational needs of differently abled students
- To raise consciousness of teachers of the College about the approaches to teaching and evaluation procedures
- Equip ILS Law College with the state of art facilities to provide equal access to differently abled students for legal education and encourage the adoption of universal design
- To provide counseling to differently abled students on the types of courses they could study at the higher educational institutions
- Monitor the implementation of all existing and future legislation and policies, pertaining to higher education of differently abled persons
- To ensure admission of as many differently abled students as possible through the open quota and through the reservation
- To provide information to the differently abled students about the fee concessions, examination procedures, reservation policies, etc.
- To assess the educational needs of differently abled persons enrolled in the college to determine the types of assistive devices to be procured and avail them reasonable accommodation
- To study the aptitude of differently abled students and assist them in getting appropriate employment when desired by them after their studies
- To celebrate important days pertaining to disability such as the World Disabled Day, White Cane Day, Braille Day, etc. in the college.
- The awareness amongst able bodied students about the potential of disabled students would be raised
- Level of inclusion by accommodating the special needs of Disable students would be enhanced
- Respect for difference and Tolerance for Diversity would be visibly reflected in the environment of the College
- Creation of Barrier Fee and Non-handicapping environment make the College more humane and inclusive
- Raising consciousness of the teachers about the special needs of the disables students, their learning difficulties would make them more creative and disruptive in their pedagogic mantle.
Enabling Environment for Disabled Students:
- Braille Printer
- Scanning of Books
- Computer with Screen Reading software ‘JAWS for Windows’ in the College
- Computer Lab
- Reader on demand scheme under ‘Earn and Learn’ programme of Savitirbai Phule Pune University and Department of Student welfare, ILS Law College
- Rams in Laxmi and Saraswati Building
- Accessibility in the newly constructed Library building with a Lift and ram
- Assistance to students with disability to avail post-matric scholarships provided by Ministry of Social justice and empowerment, Govt. of India, NHFDC and State govt.
- Wi-Fi internet and Inflibnet services
- Free of cost parking for students with a disability
- Concessions in Hostel and Mess charges
- Five Percent reservation in Admission in LL.B., (3 and 5 years courses), LL.M. DTL, DLL and MLL
- Holding Classes of Wheel Chair User Students on the Ground Floor
- Stars Amongst Differently-Abled
- One-day Career Counselling cum Motivation Workshops
- Two-day National Youth Fest cum Legal Orientation Program for Disabled Students with Special Focus on Students with Visual Impairment
- One-day National conference on disability rights jurisprudence
- Workshop on Disability and Sexuality
- Participation in National Disabled Youth Convention organized by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People in New Delhi
- Skits reflecting the problems and prospects of the disabled
- Survey of Disability Rights Jurisprudence of Supreme Court and High Courts
- Till Date, the Cell has organized Five Career Counselling Workshops, one Youth Fest and workshops on Disability and Sexuality and Review of Implementation of Educational Schemes for differently abled students.
For smooth administration of activities of the Centre, a core committee of students under the guidance of faculty coordinators is constituted, every year.
- Dr. Sanjay S. Jain, Associate Professor
- 2. Mr. D.P. Kendre, Assistant Professor
A. Non-Disabled Student Members:
- Saranya Mishra
- Sharanya Sivaraman
- Neha Deshmukh
- Varad Kolhe
- Ashwin Bhagwat
B. All Disabled Students:
- As an average around ten disabled students get admitted in ILS Law College.
- This year … disabled students are studying in our College.