- 4 to 5 months part-time depending on the needs of the project.
- Total payment INR 135,000 – part-time position over 4 or 5 months (August – December 2021) – payments to be made monthly after the submission of time sheets.
- The successful candidate will report to colleagues at the ILS Law College and the University of Leeds.
Do you have a proactive and enthusiastic approach to your work? Have you got strong communication, administrative and organisational skills? Are you fluent in written and spoken English, Marathi & Hindi (as spoken in Pune)? Do you have experience of qualitative research and an interest in research on accessibility and inclusion, particularly for disabled and older people?
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic individual with excellent administrative, interpersonal and organisational skills, fluent in Marathi, English and Hindi, to provide research support with extensive qualitative research being carried out in Pune, India for the Inclusive Public Space Project.
You will demonstrate a high degree of personal responsibility and initiative in all areas of the role as well as an ability to work to deadlines. You will be fully competent using Microsoft Office, Excel documents and internet based platforms, and fluent in Marathi, Hindi and English. You will be able to work to a high degree of precision and to handle sensitive research data with care and in accordance with our data management plan. You will establish positive working relationships with a wide range of people, including disabled and older people taking part in the research.
You will have the experience or potential (with training) to carry out semi-structured interviews and small group discussions online or by phone. You will have access to good internet connections for uploading audio-recordings onto a OneDrive folder and keeping in contact with team members and participants. You may also possess suitable equipment (such as a smart phone and computer) for carrying out phone and online interviews and other communications, and a means of audio-recording phone and online conversations (including through using software such as Audacity).
You will work on a prestigious European Research Council (Advanced Grant) project – ‘Inclusive Public Space: Law, Universality and Difference in the Accessibility of Streets’ (https://IPS-project.leeds.ac.uk).
You will work closely with members of the vibrant multidisciplinary and multinational Inclusive Public Space research team based in India and the UK.
The role is available part-time for 4 or 5 months (approximately 25-30 hours per week) for a total payment of INR 135,000 (between 27,000 and 33,750 per month, depending on the duration of the position and hours worked). It will likely start in early August and run until late December 2021. Some flexibility in working hours will be required in order to accommodate participants’ availability – including in evenings and at weekends.
What does the role entail?
As the Inclusive Public Space Project Researcher – Pune, your main duties will include:
- Contributing to team efforts to recruit research participants in Pune, India, including by answering emails and speaking online or by phone to people interested in taking part.
- Keeping accurate records and shared files in accordance with established protocols.
- Carrying out phone and online interviews in accordance with training and guidance provided by other members of the team.
- Processing research data files in accordance with the project’s ethics and data management plan.
- Working effectively and proactively to ensure disability-related adjustments are made and that all potential research participants feel included and valued.
- Planning, prioritising and making decisions about your own work ensuring tasks are completed on time to the required standard.
These duties provide a framework for the role and should not be regarded as a definitive list. Other reasonable duties may be required consistent with the grade of the post.
What will you bring to the role?
As the Inclusive Public Space Project Researcher (Pune), you will have:
- A university PG degree preferably in social work/social sciences or equivalent relevant experience.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English, Hindi & Marathi (as spoken in Pune) with a high level of interpersonal and intercultural skills.
- Evidence of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Computer literacy skills, with experience of using MS packages (including Outlook, Word and Excel), familiarity with online platforms (such as Zoom and MS teams) and an ability to access shared OneDrive folders.
- An ability to work well as part of a team and independently.
- Evidence of good communication and interpersonal skills in a work environment
- A commitment to, and familiarity with, principles of equality, practical accessibility and inclusion.
- Evidence of excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise jobs/workload and work under pressure in order to meet deadlines
- An ability to be flexible, adaptable and to show initiative.
- Experience of carrying out interviews or facilitating group discussions.
You may also have:
- Experience of working in a research or Higher Education environment.
- Training in qualitative research methods.
- Experience of working with disabled or older people.
How to apply
You can apply for this role by submitting your CV and a brief supporting statement (responding to the job description above) and contact details for two academic or employment referees to email@example.com. Please include ‘application for IPS India job’ in the subject line. Applications should be submitted by 23.59 hours IST on 19th July 2021 (Monday).
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact:
Dr. Sanjay Jain, Inclusive Public Space Project Country Advisor, India
and include “Inclusive Public Space Project Researcher – Pune” in your subject-line.
You will be responsible to the PI of the project in India – Dr. Sanjay Jain (ILS Law College, Pune, India).
You will be paid after submitting time sheets and other relevant evidence of work done. You will be paid a total salary of Rs. 135,000, which is inclusive of any taxes or other charges payable.