ILS CENTRE FOR ARBITRATION AND MEDIATION (ILSCA)
“ILSCA ARBITRATION WEEK”
15th to 18th February 2019
To give effect to the aim of becoming an ADR friendly jurisdiction, the ILS Centre for Arbitration and Mediation (ILSCA), Pune was established on 3rd December 2016 by the Governing Council of the Indian Law Society (ILS). This Centre is established with the sole purpose of providing facilities for resolving disputes through various Alternate Dispute Resolution Methods. The management of ILS envisaged that, Indian Law Society as an institution, acclaimed for imparting quality legal education, also owes a commitment to the society at large and thought it to fit to establish the Centre to facilitate ADR mechanisms for quick dispute resolution.
ILSCA is a first-of-its-kind ADR institution in India, attached to an educational establishment, ILS Law College. ILSCA is a neutral, independent, and non-political and non-profit organization, which is established by the Indian Law Society to facilitate the impartial administration of ADR proceedings. Indian Law Society undertook construction of a designated building, in its huge campus, for the specific purpose of conducting arbitrations and mediations. This Centre is near completion and has all the facilities to support Ad-hoc Arbitration, Institutional Arbitration, Mediation, and also proposes to have a state-of-the-art infrastructure.
The ILS Centre for Arbitration and Mediation (ILSCA), proposes to organize a series of events with a view to educate and indoctrinate the student fraternity, the professionals, the law faculty with the ethos of Alternative Dispute Resolution Methods.
Arbitration Week – 2019
Indian Law Society’s Centre for Arbitration and Mediation (ILSCA) is privileged to announce holding of a four day event – Arbitration Week -2019, from 15th February to 18th February 2019, comprising of intense discussions and deliberations on Arbitration through various events spread over these four days. Each days’ event is designed in its unique way to deal with the subject of Arbitration in depth, be it in the form of a conference involving industry leaders or through an award writing competition. It involves an array of events aimed towards promoting and inculcating awareness of the need and advantages of arbitration amongst the students.
The four-day event will be conducted in the following manner;
Day 1- Friday – 15th February- 2019
Students who have submitted their abstracts are shortlisted and will be invited to ILS Law College to present their full length papers before the assessors on the 15th February 2019 for a final selection. The selected paper presenters will have the privilege to present their paper in the full day Conference scheduled to be held on the 16th February.
Day 2- Saturday -16th February- 2019
National Conference on Various aspects of Arbitration
Time: 10.a.m. to 6.00 p.m. (with one lunch break and one tea break)
The conference will be in the form of panel discussions on different topics related to Arbitration. There will be five sessions on five different topics. The discussion in each panel will be delimited to the topic of that session each session will witness participation of three eminent professionals who are experts in the field of Arbitration. The panel will also include – a student presenter. and the five topics of the Conference are specified below
- Institutional Arbitration: Recent Developments, Issues & Trends and Comparative Prospects with Other Jurisdictions.
- Investment Treaty Arbitration: Trade-off between State Interest and Investor Interest.
- Arbitration in the Construction Industry: Recent Developments, Issues, Trends and Comparative Prospects with other Jurisdictions.
- Med-Arb: Vision V. Reality in India: Comparative Prospects with Other Jurisdictions
- Maritime Arbitration: Issues, Trends and Comparative Prospects across Various Jurisdictions.
Confirmed Panellists for the Conference;
- AJAY THOMAS, Vice Chairperson, ICC India Arbitration Group
- PRABASH RANJAN, Assistant Professor, South Asian University, New Delhi.
- SHREYAS JAYASIMHA, Advocate and Founder, AARNA Law
- RAJ PANCHMATIA, Partner, Khaitan and Co.
- AMITAVA MAJUMDAR, Partner, Bose & Mitra & Co,
- INBAVIJAYAN VEERARAGHAVAN, International Arbitrator, FCIArb (UK)
- PROMOD NAIR, Founding Partner, ARISTA Law Chambers
- RISHAB GUPTA, Counsel, Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas
- GRACIOUS TIMOTHY, JAMS Scholar, LL.M. International Commercial Arbitration
Day 3- Sunday -17th February, 2019
Arbitration Training Program
Time: 10.a.m. to 5.00 p.m. (with one lunch break and one tea break)
The Arbitration Training Program on the third day is a full day basic training designed to provide an understanding to the participants with the proceedings, practice and procedures applicable to an arbitration. The training will also shed light on drafting an arbitration clause and arbitral award. The participants who are enrolling to the Training program also get a chance to participate in the award writing competition to be held the next day i.e. on 18th February, post the mock arbitration session.
However, the participants who wish to participate in the Award Writing Competition must compulsorily attend this Training Program. This training is a prelude to the arbitration award writing competition.
- Ratan Singh
- Manoj Kumar
The training will cover the following topic areas;
(i) Writing of arbitration clause
(ii) Drafting of pleadings which includes:
- Submissions and drafting of Submissions
- Reply and general format of Replies
- Evidence affidavit before an arbitrator i.e. Affidavit in lieu of Evidence
- Cross and Chief questions and their format
- Expert testimony and Arbitration
- Interim award related pleadings
(iii) Specific instructions regarding drafting of an arbitral award.
Day 4- Monday -18th February –
Mock Arbitration and Arbitral Award
Time: 10.a.m. to 5.00 p.m. (with one lunch break and one tea break)
The Mock Arbitration will be a practical simulation of a domestic arbitration problem.
The first half of 18th of February (between 10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p,m,) will witness the mock arbitration session based on the subject area of construction arbitration, which will be conducted by two senior lawyers from Pune who are deeply into domestic arbitration. The arguments will be presented by the counsels before an proficient arbitrator. This mock arbitration will be the basis for writing an arbitral award. Based on this mock the participants will draft their award. The competitors will have the opportunity of hearing the arguments by the Lawyers and interventions of the Arbitrator.
Arbitrator for the mock Arbitration:
Justice Mr. S.R. Sathe, former Judge of the Bombay High Court. Appointed and included as Arbitrator on the panel of Arbitrators by the Bombay High Court
Counsels for the mock Arbitration:
- P. Narayan, Advocate –alumni of ILS- an eminent lawyer – has to his credit four decades of civil and Criminal Practice. He is into conducting high stake domestic Arbitrations since the last 15 years.
- Srikant Kanetkar, Advocate – alumni of ILS – a renowned civil practitioner – has more than 4 decades of practice at trial court as well in High court of Mumbai. He is into conducting high profile domestic arbitrations since last few years.
Arbitral Award Writing
Based on the training provided on the previous day (17th February) and the practical simulation conducted in the mock arbitration session on the first half of 18th February, the student participants will have to write an arbitral award.
A problem related to Construction Industry for the competition is under preparation. The registered competitors will witness the actual proceedings in the mock arbitration and take down notes and points.
Post Lunch the competitors will be free for writing the award – based on the arguments posited in the morning by the counsels. Time provided for writing the award will be three hours. The written awards will be collected at the end of the scheduled time. For the benefit of the competitors we will be providing a rule book to guide you through the competition.
Click Here for the Rules of Arbitration Award Competition.
The result of the competition will be subsequently declared in the following days through e-mail to all participants.
The schedule of fees for all the above mentioned events are as under:
- Only for the Conference: 16thFebruary 2019 = Rs. 2500/- (inclusive of GST) :
- Only for the Training + Mock Arbitration + Competition: 17thFebruary 2019 and 18th February 2019 = Rs.3500/- (inclusive of GST)
- For all the three events together: – 16th, 17th and 18th February 2019 = Rs.5500/- (inclusive of GST)
Debit Card option is not available.
- The payment link will be available on ilslaw.edu
- The payment mode is provided in three different links
- The link will be open with effect from – 24thJanuary 2019.
For Offline Payment Mode : Click Here for Registration Form
Details will be posted form time to time at: ilslaw.edu
For more details Email: email@example.com
Faculty In-charge: Ms. Sathya Narayan, Director, ILSCA
Ms. Anwita Dinkar, Research Associate, ILSCA
Ms. Manjusha Gurjar Contact no: 020 25676866/25652072
- Urvashi Gattani +91 9119412925
- Mayur Avhad +91 9420157606